▪ 1 1/2 cups (300g) granulated white sugar
▪ 4 large eggs
▪ 1 cup (240 ml) sunflower, vegetable or canola oil (or other flavorless oil)
▪ 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
▪ 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
▪ 1 tsp baking soda
▪ 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
▪ 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
▪ 1/2 tsp salt
▪ 340g raw carrots finely grated (about 2 1/2 cups)
▪ 1 cup (100g), walnuts or available nuts(Optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease the bottom of a suitable baking tray and line with a greaseproof paper.
2. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon whisk and set aside.
3. Break your eggs in a large bowl and whisk till foamy as you gradually add the sugar while whisking till pale in colour.
4. When thick and pale, add the oil in a steady flow while whisking. Add the Vanilla extract.
5. Add the flour mixture into the egg mixture and fold in the flour till fully mixed.
6. Add the grated carrots and mix. If using nuts or raisins, add them at this stage.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or till cake has browned and knife inserted into cake comes out dry, If you want to make cup muffins, pour the cake batter ¾ way into the cup cake paper and bake for about 15 minutes.
8. Allow to cool slightly on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
9. Divide cake to desired sizes and sprinkle with icing sugar before serving(optional)